School History

The Central School for Tibetans, Kalimpong was established on July 17, 1964 initially named Tibetan Refugee School. It was the fifth Tibetan residential schools to be set up after the flight of His Holiness the Dalai Lama and the Tibetans in 1959. Mr.T.Lhawang, the Principal of the Tibetan Refugee School, Darjeeling held dual charge of Kalimpong as well. It was then a large residential school with  a strength of over 800 students at one time. By 1970 winter many of the Tibetan children were shifted to Tibetan Schools in Mussoories, Shimla and Darjeeling closer to their parents. The school functioned as a Middle school with a small hostel strength run by a Lama Teacher from 1971- 1976. In 1977 it was upgraded to the Secondary level and in 1988 further upgraded to the Senior Secondary level.
The Tibetan School and the Govt. College were housed for many years in the same building Jagdamba Building also known as White Wool Godown at Topkhana, Kalimpong.

In 1996, CTSA took over the hostel until then managed by the Department of Education, CTA, Dharamsala. In the same year, the Govt. of India acquired the school building and premises covering roughly  4 acres of land for the specific purpose of our school.

Historically, Topkhana got its name after 1905 when Col. Younghusband camped with his troops and ‘’tops’’-canyons on his way Tibet. Our building is one of the largest Godown during the hay days of Tibetan trade through Kalimpong.

His Holiness Dalai Lama history

18 Rules For Living By Dalai Lama